Saturday, June 11, 2016

A Letter to My Sweet Fierce Katie

*I wrote this letter a year ago while I laid in bed next to Katie.  She was receiving her first IV chemotherapy treatment and had a bad reaction.  As she screamed in pain my insides felt like they were dying.  This whole experience was new territory to us, but I have always prided myself on my independence ad strength....that night broke me.  There wasn't anything I could do but hold her and sing to her and try to talk to her through her screams.  They administered morphine and once that kicked in and she fell asleep I cried harder than I have ever cried before in my life. I didn't want to wake up my husband, it was so hard for him to be home and not with Katie.  He is one of the toughest men I know, my soldier and hero, but to see the fear in his eyes when we left the night before for the hospital made me realize how much this has changed us both.  He was finally asleep at home with our 1 year old Madi and our 7 year old David and I didn't want to cry to him or risk waking the kids so I wrote Katie a letter.  Its a jumble but that is because it just was flowing out. *


My Sweet Katie,

I want to tell you how much I love you and how so very thankful I am that God loved me enough to bless me with you.  I never imagined that several years ago someone so small could change my world in such a big way.  You have grown to be such a beautiful little lady and I am so proud to be your mama.  Tonight my heart was heavy worrying about how I would one day explain to you the life you have had.  My heart was broken thinking about all the years ahead that we will have to do this.  You see, right now I am lying in your hospital bed next to you watching your chest rise and fall with each breath. 
Today was scary, a day I wish we never have to repeat.  Today was your first dose of IV chemotherapy.  Now that the morphine has finally kicked in and you are resting comfortably I couldn’t keep away the tears.   Mama feels so lost, scared, broken, confused, and sad.  I have held this all in for so long and I just cannot stop these waves of emotions.  My beautiful sweet girl, my heart is breaking because as your mama I am supposed to be able to protect you and keep you safe and I cannot do that.
As your mama I was supposed to spend all these years teaching you so many amazing things, all the while encouraging you to be a carefree child with not a worry in the world.  Though some of that has happened and will continue to happen, I feel like I cheated you because we have spent so much time learning about how to take care of you, talking you through medicines, needles, blood work, surgeries, doctors, hospitals.  My heart breaks because I know right now this is your ‘normal’ and one day in the not so distant future you are going to be old enough to understand this isn’t normal.  One day a time will come where all the decisions daddy and I have made for your health will have to be explained to you.  I know that one day this will be hard for you, and I worry that the light and spark in your eye will fade.  My sweet girl I wish with every last breath I have that I could take this from you and carry it for you, that you would never have to worry about tomorrow, but I cannot.  What I can promise you is that for every single second of your life battling Castleman disease I will be standing right beside you battling it with you. 
As I lie in bed next to you watching the nurses check you every 15 minutes I cannot keep all my fears away.  I know I do not show you, but mama is terrified. My insides are broken and I feel like I am suffocating, but every time time I think I cannot handle anymore you remind me just how strong you are.  You have this amazing fire in your soul that lights everything it touches.  You have a graceful yet fierce spirit that calms my soul.  When my insides are breaking apart your sweet smile reminds me just how blessed I am and that we can and will get you through this.
            When you were in mama’s belly I was so scared that I wouldn’t have enough love inside of me to love you like I loved David.  I know that sounds silly but I was terrified.  The minute the doctor laid you on me I felt this wave of love wash over me and I was so overcome with emotions.  Your sweet beautiful face melted my heart in a way I never expected.  From the very first breath you took you began teaching mama so many things and because of you I have changed so much. 
I know this road we are on together isn’t fair and will not always be easy, and I want you to know that it’s ok to be scared. It is ok to be tired of fighting all the time, but when you get scared and tired I promise you that I will be there to pick you up and hold you through it all.  No matter what my sweet girl you will never be in this alone.  Tonight I know I will not sleep much, but I will snuggle you a little tighter and pray a little harder.  I love you my beautiful princess warrior.

Forever and always,

Your Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment